The gentleman in the center in the picture above is a very good friend of mine. The two gentlemen on either side of him are his very good friends. All three are very big fans of the video game Mass Effect.
I’m not a big gamer myself; I would rather spend the time knitting! But when my friend asked if I could knit a hat for him with a logo from one of his favorite games, I was all too happy to take on the challenge! The characters “N7” and a little triangle, how hard could it be, right?
Famous. Last. Words.
For those who don’t know, this is what the logo looks like.
N7 is some sort of elite fighting force in the game. I’d give you a more detailed description if I knew anything about it. Since I don’t, if you’re really curious, I guess Google is going to be your best friend.
I sat down with some graph paper and tried to chart out the logo. It wasn’t too hard but I had a spot of bother with the 7. Making it proportional to the N and not spacing it too far away was a bit of a challenge. The slope of the triangle with the little…extra block on top was also cause for some consternation. However, I managed to get things charted well enough to at least give it a try.
The first hat was…well it was not the smash hit I had hoped it would be. For one thing, I used too wide a knit which was very unforgiving where I’d made mistakes it didn’t work well with the triangle. It’s passable, but it’s just not right.
However, since it was a free hat, I oh so graciously told my friend to suck it up and wear it. He actually did wear it some this winter but I don’t blame him for wanting a better one, which I will make for him eventually! Anywho, he showed his hat to his friend who loved it. We chatted a bit about what would make the pattern work better (it’s so cute when non knitters sit there and try really hard to understand what I’m talking about). He decided to order two hats, one for himself and one for his brother with the new and improved logo once I figured it out.
Since I had the incentive of getting paid (I know money is evil and all but it is a good motivator! So is being able to do nifty things like buy more yarn!) I set right to work re-tooling the logo. It took some time but I shrunk it down, which really helped with the letter and number, and made it as a patch that I sewed onto a black beanie instead of knitting it into the beanie like before.
I was much happier with the second atempt, it gave me a much clearer logo. My customers were also very happy with their hats which led to these lovely photos modeling them!
While you're here, you should check out the Etsy store! New things have been added and more new items will go up this week!