Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dr. Yarnlove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love to Knit

Well, I am no longer exactly new to knitting, but I haven’t been doing it for that long in the grand scheme of things either. I actually started with crochet. A coworker gave me some yarn and a crochet hook and sorta showed me how to chain and single crochet…I haven’t really progressed much from that point, crochet and I just don’t get along that well.

However, in class one night, a fellow student saw me crocheting and decided to teach me how to knit. Despite a few missteps in the beginning, it was love at first stitch! Unfortunately, she dropped the class before teaching me to purl. So I taught myself with internet videos and what not. With the internet in my lap (top) and needles and yarn in hand, I have learned and adapted lots of interesting techniques and patterns.

I started where we all start, with scarves and other various squares and rectangles. I had fun the first couple Christmases making scarves for everyone…and by fun I mean I totally burnt myself out trying to finish enough gifts in time for Christmas.

So it may not have been fun exactly but I was ever so proud of myself and the gifts I turned out. I’m not sure what everyone will get this year but I’m thinking something more ambitious is in order. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, here are some of the scarves I made for Christmas 2009. What’s funny is that I got the idea to braid them all by myself…then all of a sudden braided knit scarves were everywhere…I must be a trend setter!

No comments:

Post a Comment